Has hypothyroidism and had parathyroid surgery. Having eye problem after surgery. Underlying cause?

My daughter has hypothyroidism plus she just had parathyroid surgery about 6 weeks ago. After her surgery that day she complained of a headache. She went to her eye doctor for check up and they gave her a new script but, a month later the recheck of her eyes showed they are getting worse with each visit. This all started after the procedure....
And to add to her problems she is constantly complaining about how she sweats all the time and it is very embarrassing for her. Her eye doctor and endocrologist are both puzzled. Have you heard of any eye problems after this surgery she is having?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 3 hours later
Thank you for the query.
I have read your query and in that, you have mentioned about the parathyroid surgery. One of the most common complications of the surgery is hypocalcaemia.
Prolonged hypocalcaemia, if left untreated, may cause cataracts. So, I advise you to have a check on your daughter’s calcium levels. If they are low, consult your doctor for calcium supplements prescription. I also suggest having thyroid profile done as the sweating you have mentioned is related to that.

If your daughter is taking high doses of thyroxin for hypothyroidism then the chances of increased thyroid hormone may be seen and which will lead to symptoms like excessive sweating.

Hope I have answered your query. You can always ask a follow-up query again.

Follow-up: Has hypothyroidism and had parathyroid surgery. Having eye problem after surgery. Underlying cause? 49 minutes later
Since she went to her eye doctor right after the surgery. Could she not have notice the cataracts. I know she had high levels of calcium for a year before they discovered the benign tumor on the parathyroid. She told me this evening that her eye feels like her contact has a thumb print on it but, they are clean. So this could be possible..
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 4 hours later

1. Cataract is a gradually occurring pathology. Therefore it may have been missed easily during the eye check.

2. Eye infection - bacteria and fungal is common in contact lens user. As your daughter complaints of feeling of imprint on the lens, it would be worthwhile to consult a doctor nearby and rule out infections. Antibiotic therapy is entailed if infection is proved. Keep the lens cleaned regularly with the cleansing solution provided.

3. It is important to check calcium levels following parathyroid surgery. If it hasn't been done, get it done now to exclude hypocalcemia.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Has hypothyroidism and had parathyroid surgery. Having eye problem after surgery. Underlying cause? 6 hours later
Hi, this is XXXXXXX "the daughter"
I visited with my endocrinologist on Wednesday and labs were done to recheck the thyroid and calcium. She was puzzled because she could only relate the vision deficiencies to hyperthyroidism and or diabetes. My family practice dr took me off of Cymbalta to help with the sweating, but there hasn't been much of a change.
I had my yearly eye exam in April. After my surgery on XXXXXXX 13th, I went back because my glasses and contacts seemed weak and blurry. The strength changed then, 2 weeks later and now again within 1 week. I go back on Tuesday to see if it has changed again. Also, it was determined that my testosterone is high and I have hirsutism. Could this all be adrenal problems or related to thyroid? I have had high cortisol levels in the past.
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 28 minutes later
Thank you for coming up with more details.
In my opinion you need need to have a checkup for adrenal function again to know its function at present so that you can rule out the diseases associated with that.
The second thing as you have mentioned thyroid disease itself may cause these symptoms like increased testosterone and increased cortisol and even blurring of vision.Proper treatment for the present thyroid disease is necessary and regular checkups of the thyroid levels will help you to resolve some of your problems.
Symptomatic treatment does not work until the cause is treated.
Thank you.