Has gained weight after back injury. Suggest medicine to control high cholesterol indicated in Lipid profile test?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I did a lipid profile test and few factors, quite a few in fact turned out to be on the higher side. Cholestrol : 216 Triglycerides: 166 Cholestrol HDL : 37 Direct LDL Cholestrol: 153 CHOL/HDL Ratio : 5.8 LDL/HDL ratio: 4.1 Very low density lipoprotein : 33.2 As you can see all the factors are falling in moderate high/ high range. Is there any medication that I need to start?
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: please provide clinical details. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir For correct interpretation of lipid profile, certain clinical information is required.Please provide the same so that target LDL level can be calculated. 1. If you are a smoker? If any of your blood relatives has anginal heart disease? If yes, At what age it started ? If you have high blood pressure/ diabetes/ any chronic medical illness like stroke, peripheral vascular disease? What is your usual blood pressure? After getting this information , I will elaborate on your lipid profile. Sincerely Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Has gained weight after back injury. Suggest medicine to control high cholesterol indicated in Lipid profile test? 9 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt response. I used to smoke occassionally until about an year ago, after which I quit smoking. XXXXXXX lipid profile was fine about a month ago, and I used to be regular with my workouts. But after suffering a back injury, I quit working out and started eating heavily, putting on almost 20 kgs in 5 months, Now to answer your questions. 1. I was a occassional smoker for 8 years until last year. No smoking in last 15 months 2. My dad is a heart patient, has had 3 attacks, started around 35 years. Recently had a complicated bypass done to remove blocks at 7 places 3. My BP is around 140, I had it checked today doctor said I dont require medications 4. Lastly, I am being treated for Panic Anxiety disorder and on Medication for last one year and a half, taking Zapiz 0.5 and prodep 20 mg daily. Kindly advise if any medication is required, and what can be done to help correct the situation

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: life style modification;No drugs Detailed Answer: Dear Sir 1. You have a target LDL cholesterol level of 130 mg% but actual level is 153 mg%. However it does not require any medication right now. Since it is only 23 mg% higher than target, you need to do life style modification first for 6 weeks and if Lipid profile is improving at 6 weeks need to continue till 12 weeks. A decision to start or not to start a drug will be taken at 12 weeks then. A level which is more than target but less than 30 mg% above target does not require immediate medication. 2. Life style modifications involve daily supervised exercise, optimal body weight (body mass index of 23; Body mass index is weight in kilogram divided by square of height in meters), no sweets, no fried items, avoiding fat rich food and taking diet rich in fibers, vegetables , fruits, legumes and nuts. 3. Your HDL and VLDL levels are marginally abnormal. These will get corrected with exercise and weight loss only. Hope this helps. Feel free if there is anything else. Sincerely Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Has gained weight after back injury. Suggest medicine to control high cholesterol indicated in Lipid profile test? 4 minutes later
Thanks once again, Your prompt response is immensely helpful. I will try my best to adhere to the plan you have suggested. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome sir Detailed Answer: Most welcome Sir. If you have no more queries please close the discussion with your valuable feedback. Sincerely Sukhvinder