Has constant nausea, had radical nephrectomy with splenectomy. Tried medicine but no help from nausea. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My dad has constant nausea. He had left radical nephrectomy last November along with splenectomy and the IFC cleared of tumor as well. He has tried several medications to alleviate the nausea to no avail. Why is he nauseas and how to we stop it?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). i appreciate your concern regarding your father.

Nausea may be due to side effects of medications he is taking especially lisinopril and colace. So if feasible regarding which you may discuss with your doctor to replace them. Also he may take some prokinetic agent like itopride along with a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole to relieve nausea. Also ask him to avoid fatty meals and should not lie down soon after taking meals at least for 2 hours. Continue with Zofran.

One more thing although of not my specialty lisinopril should be avoided in patients with nephrectony. Please discuss regarding this also with his treating doctor

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Has constant nausea, had radical nephrectomy with splenectomy. Tried medicine but no help from nausea. Suggest? 18 hours later
Do you think that the continued use of Norco 10/325 could be causing the nausea. He has been taking this since the surgery last November.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes Norco also causes nausea

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback. Yes you are right tablet Norco has also got side effects of nausea, vomiting and dysphagia. You may discuss with your doctor to replace it