Has colon cancer. On coumidin therapy. Blood seen in bowel movements. Could coumidin be the cause?

my daughter is on coumidin therapy (2.5 mg daily) and has been for about a month. Trace amounts of blood were found in two of three "do it yourself slides XXXXXXX She is convinced she has colon cancer. Could coumidin be the cause.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiologist. Perhaps, cardiologist use this drug the maximum. Therefore, I read your question with diligence.

I assume for stent or other endovascular procedure was done makes the sense of taking anticoagulants. Are you maintaining INR as advised by your interventional radiologist/cardiologist or your doctor who prescribed ? If you are maintaining it on the higher side of normal trace amount on do it yourself kits are possible.

However, if there is any change in bowel habits (little more or less frequency, diarrhea or constipation) I would support your doctor as far as consulting a doctor and get complete physical examination and some investigations done (there are tumor markers available like Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA) which can give idea about development of even precancerous stage). Otherwise, I will go with what we doctors are trained as far as possible find a reason cogent enough to suspect two illnesses coexisting in one patient. It occurs very rarely and almost never with so mild an evidence.

If there is followup query I will be most happy to answer.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW