Has been complaining about sharp abdomen pain. Scan showed nothing. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My 15 year old daughter has been complaining about a sharp pain on the left side of he abdomen right underneath the rib cage. She had a Scan done and the Medical team said nothing was wrong. So why does she continue to have the problem. She currently lives in India where my ex- husband works
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later

Left abdominal pain underneath ribs can be seen in few medical condition. I believe your daughter has undergone blood tests and Ultrasound abdoomen which are normal. In this circumstance, I would suggest you to ask your physician if an Upper GI Endoscopy (OGD) is needed.

Upper GI endoscopy can help us rule out hyperacidity which can be causing such pain.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Has been complaining about sharp abdomen pain. Scan showed nothing. Suggest? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX My understanding is no blood work was done, only a Scan was perfomed. What is the blood work suppossed to determine? Thank you for your response

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 1 hour later
I suggest that a simple Complete blood count would be worth it to start and then an endoscopy. Blood counts determine if there is infection if yes what is the nature of it.

Thanks

Follow-up: Has been complaining about sharp abdomen pain. Scan showed nothing. Suggest? 36 hours later
I understand you're in India, how far are you from Hydrebad? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 1 hour later
Yes, I am in Bangalore at MS Ramaiah Memorial Hospital.