Has advanced lung cancer. Had pleural effusion and permanent chest drain. Now has swollen abdomen and feet. Cause?

My uncle has "advanced lung cancer" at least 3B. He had a pleural effusion and has a permanent chest drain.
Now he has a swollen abdomen and feet.
What could cause this?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 minutes later
thanks for your query.
I am sorry to know about your uncle. In his case, swollen abdomen and feet may be because of various reasons. I will list some of the most probable.
1. Low protein in blood, probably due to poor nutrition
2. The disease spreading to the abdomen which causes blockade of blood vessels.
3. Involvement of the heart or fluid around the heart due to spreading cancer.
4. Liver involvement by cancer.

The exact cause may be ascertained by a physical examination and a few simple tests like blood chemistries, abdominal ultrasound, echocardiography, etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.