Has Spinal cord pain. X-ray showed gap between nerves of spinal cord. Have back pain and leg pain. Suggestion?

My mom has Spinal cord pain from past 7 years. She consult specialist in that, they took X-ray and some other tests to her and said " there is a gap between the one of the nerves of spinal cord which travels through the leg. Initially she got back pain but now she is suffering from legpain due to some pressure on the spinal cord nerve. What kind of treatment made her feels her good? Some recommended to go for Surgery and some recommended for not to work and take fully rest. Please guide me what to do?
If any changes in diet would effect or handle this situation kindly let me know.

Thanks in Advance
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 1 hour later

Thank you for writing in.

From your query I learn that your mother has chronic back pain , now leg pain and diagnosed to have nerve compression at level of spinal cord.

Based on details your mother is suffering from sciatica secondary to prolapse disc which is the most common cause for such symptoms. Need to rule out other causes.

We need to know your mothers MRI spine report. If possible can you upload detailed MRI brain reports/image on this page using the site's downloader. If you wish you can mail the images/reports to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Sandhya Manorenj".

If she was my patient here, I would clinically assess her for motor function (any weakness), sphincter control (retention of urine, constipation) and the extent of deficit and radiological finding (minor/major disc)

On an average most of the patient respond to neuralgic drugs treatment, with short course of steroids, along with lumbosacral belt and bed rest whenever severe pain occurs. If symptoms persist or no response with medical treatment then go for other options (epidural steroids, laminectomy surgery).

Diet XXXXXXX in calcium will help to strengthen bone and cartilage. Calcium XXXXXXX foods are milk and milk products with oral calcium supplements.

Hope this should help you

Follow-up: Has Spinal cord pain. X-ray showed gap between nerves of spinal cord. Have back pain and leg pain. Suggestion? 15 hours later
Thanks you for your reply

Actually we had the MRI scan long back. I think we need to scan again for confirmation of the present situation again. My mom is already using belt for relaxation. She is not getting the pain regularly.

She got pain in these two situations:
1. When she went for a walk.
2. Standing for a long time(eg:20-30mins)

Can you please suggest any solution to overcome pain in these two situations.

Thanks in Advance
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 12 hours later

Yes, MRI spine need to be repeated.

I treat my patients here with neuralgic drugs (like pregabalin , gabapentin) along with methycobal preparation to take care of such symptoms. Discuss with treating doctor for prescription.

If you have any quires you can consult me again or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you and your mom good health.

I apologize for the delay in reply.