Has Foley catheter for pre TURP surgery. Feeling uncomfortable. Topical ointment available?

I am a retired RN and my brother has a Foley catheter for pre TURP surgery on Aug1. The catheter has been in for two weeks thus far and is becoming very uncomfortable (irritating) for him but functioning fine. I 've advised him to contact his surgeons office tomorrow to see if a topical ointment can be used (ie. lidocaine) or an over the counter remedy. My question is : are there new comfort topicals available and used often now? Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

While I mostly take care of women, we use urinary catheters extremely frequently with the same issues. For example, after Cesarean sections or GYN procedures, the RN's taking of the patients will often apply lidocaine jelly around the catheter insertion site. This will provide some relief. He should ask for a prescription for Xylocaine Jelly 2%. It could be applied every couple of hours as needed. Given his HIV status, there should also be a check for a latex sensitivity. While he probably does not like the idea of switching the catheter, a latex-free catheter is also worth considering.

Finally, there are different sizes of foley catheters. He might do better with a smaller / pediatric sized catheter - he should ask his doctor about this as well.

I really hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Has Foley catheter for pre TURP surgery. Feeling uncomfortable. Topical ointment available? 35 minutes later
Thank you. Your reply has been very helpful and I will pass the advice on to my brother. I had forgotten about the possibility of a smaller catheter. We are monitoring carefully for signs of infection and he is on cipro till surgery. Wishing you well. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 49 minutes later
You are very welcome and good luck!