Hard lump on elbow, family history of cancer. Discomfort when pushing. Any input?

Hi there, I found a hard lump on the inner right side of my left elbow (top near crease). It feels very hard and is not on the top layer of to feel it its XXXXXXX oh if that makes sense! Forgive me all this Google research has me thinking the worst! I have an ultra sound appointment in a week after seeing my doctor today she told me not to worry until I have the ultra sound but I'm stressing allot due to cancer running in my family history!

I was just wondering if you could tell me the difference between the feeling of a cyst, swollen lymph gland or a tumor and also what tumors or cyst show up like in an ultra sound (white or black) I can move it a little bit but not too much and its like a misshaped ball the size of a gumball from those silly gumball machines, it only causes me discomfort when pushing really hard on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The swelling around the elbow is a very unusual site for cancers although some bone tumor can occur here also. Lymph node enlargement also not common in this region except in syphilis when this is a preferential site for lymphadenopathy.
I think you do not have these two, Rather you are having a lipoma.
Lipomas are universal tumors, and are virtually harmless.
Bone tumors are bony hard, fixed on bone so not mobile. Mostly other tumors are also firm to feel and look whitish on ultrasound.
Cyst has central liquid region and give a bright boundary and dark center on ultrasonography.
Do not squeeze or handle it till the diagnosis is made.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!