Hard lump in Adam's apple area, choking when swallowing, taken Amoxicillin. Carrier of strep?

ENT Specialist
I went to doctor due to feeling like had lump in throat at Adam's XXXXXXX area, with choking feeling when I swallow. Physician's assistant said that he could not feel enlarged thyroid. He said that due to no abd. tenderness, burping, etc...not reflux. He did check me for strep due to fact that he said the back of my throat was a little red. Started me on Amoxicillin 500mg three times a day X 10 days. I have been on antibiotic for five days and still have the choking feeling. Could I have just been a carrier of strep since I had no real symptoms of strep other than slightly red throat and it not be related to choking sensation in throat.
History: Have hx of hyperthyroidism with rx of Synthyroid .1mg for many years (TSH was 4.7 when meds started and yearly)…this summer I had the crazy notion to stop my meds for 2 months….at the next check TSH was 10 & hair was dry and falling out by hand full & skin was very dry. Also, cholesterol is elevated and I am work with diet and meds to get it down. I have been back on the increased dose of Synthyroid .125mg for 3 weeks. Have schedule lab on Sept 18th.
I know you can’t diagnosis over the net…but recommendations on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I will never stop my meds again! Hard lesson in life has been learned!
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an Ultrasound (USG) Neck done to check the size of the Thyroid gland and to rule out any retro- sternal extension that may cause the choking feeling.

2. LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) is a condition in which abdominal and chest symptoms commonly associated with GERD (Gatro Esophageal Reflux Disease) are not seen.

3. If you have been a carrier of strep, your throat swab or XXXXXXX nasal swab will be positive. A red throat may be due to a post nasal drip.

4. Elevated cholesterol is due to hypothyroidism.

5. Get your T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4, Ultra TSH and anti-thyroid antibody tests done.

6. TSH is a reverse feedback mechanism where decrease in the thyroid hormone levels leads to increase in TSH levels. TSH released from the Pituitary Gland acts on the Thyroid gland to increase thyroid hormone production. Synthyroid will lower TSH levels.

7. Hypothyroidism itself may lead to a choking sensation, Other leading causes are anemia, acid reflux, retro-sternal thyroid, stress, drug-induced, allergy, edema in the larynx and so on.

8. Do you have sleep apnea or snoring problems?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.