Hard lump below testicle, lower back pain, abdominal pain. Is epididymal cyst serious?

Hi. I recently went to the doctors as I found a large hard lump at the bottom of m testicle. I also had occasional lower back pain and abdominal pain. The doctor examined me and said it was nothing to worry about and it was a epididymal cyst. He didn't explain whether or not this would go or prescribe medication. I am also unsure of how he could be so sure it was not something more serious. Do you think I should go back for a second opinion?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

Epidydimal cyst is a type of retention cyst which contains secretions from the testis.This occurs occasionally in many men and disappears on its own in few weeks not taking more than three months.This doesn't need any treatment.

Yes, I would recommend you to visit a General surgeon who can order imaging studies like Ultrasound scan and diagnose the condition with confirmation.Its always better to be sure as some conditions do not need treatment and others must have to be treated.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Hard lump below testicle, lower back pain, abdominal pain. Is epididymal cyst serious? 21 minutes later
Ok thanks. My doctor said it will probably not go away and the only way to get rid of it is to have it surgically removed. He said my testis were fine. He seemed very sure it wasn't anything serious. Shall I go back and ask to see a urologist?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Not always the cyst needs to be resected , simple and medium sized ones disappear own their own.

Yes, he is right in saying that this is not serious condition.

I suggest you to be confirmed of the diagnosis , which can be done using imaging techniques combined with examination findings.Its always better to be sure.urologist would be the best option compared to a General surgeon.