Hard lump below fusion, pain radiating to arm. Had laminectomy and fusion done. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a laminectomy and fusion c4 to c6 last January. Had c5 palsy on right side immediately afterward. Lots of pain and weakness, but have had some improvement. Now I have a big hard lump on the right side just below fusion. It doesn't hurt to press on it, but I do have pain radiating from it down my right arm. Should I be worried? Am so afraid of more surgery that I haven't seen doctor yet.

Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The big hard lump just below the fusion is likely to be a soft tissue swelling due to an inflamed sebaceous gland or an abscess or a swollen lymph node due to inflammation in the area. It needs a direct examination to detect the cause of the lump.
Most of the times these lumps do subside on doing a hot fomentation, taking mild oral antibiotics.
You can get it examined from your physician so that an early treatment can be initiated.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Hard lump below fusion, pain radiating to arm. Had laminectomy and fusion done. Should I be worried? 32 hours later
Well, that sounds better than failed hardware, or adjacent Disc disease getting worse. Thank you Dr Tayal. I will have it checked out. No offense, just been staying from Dr's offices. Guess it's time to be a big girl and go back in. Anything i should watch out for?

Than you,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A direct examination is the only way to get it diagnosed. Most likely mild anti inflammatory medicines and oral antibiotics will help in controlling the lump. Please do not worry and get an appointment from your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.