Hard area on the abdomen. What is it?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have an area on my abdomen startling at my naval going left. About 4 ilnches wide by 3 inches that is very firm. I've had it for years and it seems to present no problems. What is located in that area that could make it so hard while the left side of my abdomen is very soft?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

First, it is questionable is it located inside abdominal cavity or in subcutaneous tissue. This sounds to me like benign subcutaneous lesion which are commonly found in this area and include lipoma, fibroma, ateroma, traumatic fibrosis, thrombosised vein.

Also, abdominal wall hernias can have similar symptoms. Intraabdominal causes can be more serious but if this lasts for so long then it shouldn't be some expansive process.

To clear all this out you should do ultrasound which can verify the morphology of this lesion. Also the ultrasound guided needle aspiration and biopsy can be performed.

It can be always surgically removed under local anesthesia if necessary.

If you notice swelling,redness, pain in this area you should visit a doctor as there can be inflammation.

Wish you good health. If you have anything to ask I ll be glad to help you.