Hand not washed properly by soap before eating. Will this cause any complication?

If I washed my hands and left some soap on them and then ate, is that amount of soap toxic?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The toxicity or potential for poisoning would depend on the exact ingredients of the soap and their concentration, however most soaps are thought to be non toxic . In addition since you washed your hands only a small amount of soap would have remained on your hands, this again , reduces the chances of any side effects. It would have to taken in large amounts for any effects to be seen and your hands would only have a small quantity.

When taken in large quantities the most common observed effect, again depending on the ingredients, would be vomiting and diarrhoea.

If you remain unsure, you can consider contacting the poison control center if you have the soap with the list of ingredients with you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions