Hairline cut appeared on forehead after being hit. Is it safe to put betadine cream on it?

Nov 2013

Hi my son got hit in thd head by his brother who threw a heavy toy at his head tues night . It bled for 5 minutes or so then I put a soft ice pack on his head. ( cut is half cm long on hairline of forehead at front middle. He went pale and then we spoke to him and cheered him up gave Nurofen and he slept well. Today all good. It he says it's sore to touch he says . We'd night my husband washed his hair and said it looked alright. No bruising really. Should I put beta dine cream on it or not . He is 4. No bandage used as his short hair covered it. Email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.
The injury is suggestive of superficial scalp laceration. I wish to reassure you that the symptoms do not suggest any XXXXXXX injury to brain.
The wound over the forehead (scalp) heal well (as it has XXXXXX blood supply). It typically takes 7-14 days for complete healing.
If the wound is clean (no infection, such as pus discharge, etc), there is no need of betadine application over it. Also, there is no need to use any antibiotics.
On the other hand, if there is a suspicion of infection, betadine dressings may be done for few days.
Hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXX Consultant Neurologist