Hair thinning near forehead, visible scalp. Can you help me?

Jul 2012

I have recently noticed that my hair is thinning near the forehead and I have also lost some hair. Now I'm noticing that the scalp is visible at the middle when I brush my hair while combing and also after I take bath. I usually take head bath everyday (not with hot water). I'm worried about this. Can you help me?
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX Firstly it has to be assessed 'what' 'type' of hair fall you suffer from. From your description, it appears that you suffer from 'androgenic alopecia' or 'male-pattern baldness'. There are various lines of treatment & it would depend on the treating doctor, your compliance, cost factors, need for speed etc. Personally, I would recomend a 2% minoxidil lotion/spray applied on dry scalp twice/daily for 2-3 mths & hair transplantation procedure as androgenic alopecia does not have as good a prognosis as some of the other types. Having said that, hair transplantation in good hands does achieve good results. I am currently located in Bangalore & one of my practicing centres' is the First Hair Transplanting Unit in the country(India) & we have a team of doctors' doing it together. Please take your time, a second opinion & decide accordingly depending on which area you hail from & WILL BE HAPPY TO RECOMMEND a specialist in your part of the world. There is nothing to 'worry' about. These things are more common thatn you think & nowadays pretty routine..if Indian, just ask XXXXXXX Ganguly, Sehwag, Zaheer XXXXXXX etc...:) Take care. P.S. Hot or cold water does not matter..the 'type' of water..hard water or soft water does make a difference & the former may contribute to hair fall. Dont comb or handle your hair too often & use a Broad toothed comb are some of the other 'regular' habbits that are preferred in such cases of hair fall.
Hope this answered your query in detail. Please do take a second opinion in person with a dermatologist of your choice nearest you & make an informed deciscion & do take time to give us your feedback when you close this query. Here's wishing you a good hair day! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosemtologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital & Asian Skin Institute
Bangalore, India.