Hair loss. Advice and Using helmet causing it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
does using helmet cause hair loss...i can see my hair line slowing receeding....i maintain my diet and also take good care by using oil and still find hair line receeding...please advice how to control or improve hair growth...
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later

Do you have any patchy loss of hair anywhere on the scalp?

Usually all men start balding by around early 20s which starts with hair line recession. This is a normal physiological change which is due to action of testosterone on the scalp called male-pattern baldness.

Usually wearing an ill-fitting tight helmet can cause excess pressure on the scalp can cause damage to the hair roots and enhance hair fall. So the first step you can take is find a well fitting helmet which is not very tight over the head. Also you can apply an helmet liner or a light cloth over the scalp before wearing helmet which will keep moisture and reduce direct pressure of the helmet on the scalp. Also do keep your hair well moisturised before wearing helmet. Avoid keeping hair very long which is more prone to falling.

You should avoid much sun exposure to scalp. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables which have XXXXXXX source of vitamins and minerals to keep stronger and healthier hair. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes to enhance good circulation to all parts of the body.

Keep your blood pressure in control. Avoid fatty, oily food. Try to be on natural high-fibre diet for best health.

If there is significant hair loss you should consult with a Dermatologist who will examine you and may advice hair growth lotion which usually contains Minoxidil. Discuss the benefits and risks of using any medication.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.