Had wrist fracture and swelling under thumb. What is the possible to have tendon or ligament damage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
1.Closed stable radius wrist fracture almost 10 weeks ago.
2. Was placed in an exo cast until last week. When after ct scan and xray-bone seems healed.
3. Have had pain the whole time during healing and now that the cast is removed my wrist hurts and has new swelling on the top of my hand along with slight swelling under the thumb palm side.
I know the bone is healed, but I am wondering if it is possible to have tendon or ligament damage that has not been dx?
Is it supposed to be this painful after this period of time? Or after cast removal-my ortho has kinda dismissed my pain-but I am not a whiner and it hurts!
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Your hand and arm was in cast. During that time, the pain may persist due to disuse osteoporosis. Now after removal of the cast, soft tissue swelling is a common finding and is not indicative of any tendon or ligament injury.
It takes few weeks of regular hot fomentation, physiotherapy exercises, pain killers and calcium supplements to restore the joint to its normal state.
If you are having a complete range of movement even with pain, then any tendon or ligament injury is not likely.
Any minor soft tissue injury associated with the fracture usually heals in 10 weeks time. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.