Had wisdom teeth out. Now have paresthia and can't feel teeth, lip or chin. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I am 19 years old and just had my wisdom teeth out 6 days ago. I now have paresthia and can't feel my teeth, lip or chin........... I am really scared and am leaving for college in 3 weeks. Everything I read online is awful
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

Removal of wisdom teeth does lead to nerve injury at times, resulting into paresthesias and numbness. However, I would like to reassure you that spontaneous recovery occurs in most cases within a few days to a few weeks.

In most cases, no specific medications are required. However, sometimes, use of vitamin supplements such as B12, folic acid, alpha lipoic acid, etc is recommended.

For relief of paresthesia, pregabalin or gabapentin is useful, (if they are troublesome).

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: