Had weird stomach bug producing lots of gas. Haemorrhoid has flared up. What could it be?

Nephrologist
Question
My wife got a weird stomach bug wich produced lots of gas and urge to go. about a week later I too experienced the same thing. I noticed when I wiped it was like a clear gel. I asked her about it and she said she experienced the same thing. I do have a hemrroid that has gotten flared up and preparation H has helped some with feeling like I need to go. do bugs like this go around? should I let it pass? My stool is solid. neither of us had fever or vomiting.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Small amount of mucous is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The clear gel like substance you have noticed is mucous. It is secreted by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated. However if you are experiencing increasing amounts of mucous associated with diarrhea and pain abdomen you might have to be treated with antibiotics like ciprofloxacin with tinidazole for 5 days.
Pathogens do go around especially if you are living in the same household as you will be eating the same food.
If your stool is solid, you have no pain abdomen or bloating you can let it pass

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Had weird stomach bug producing lots of gas. Haemorrhoid has flared up. What could it be? 23 hours later
my stool is generally solid. it fluctuates a little between smaller stools and longer solid stool(normal). I did have a few that looked like shredded wheat but returned to solid. they are always normal brown. I think the urge to go is my hemorrhoid because prep H helped a lot. Does that sound within the norm?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Fluctuations in the form of stools depends on the amount of fibre we eat, what you have described is within the normal limit.
I suggest you to XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist and get the haemorrhoids sclorosed instead of taking medications for it on a regular basis, it also saves you the risk of haemorrhoidal bleeds

I wish you good health