Had water in ear. Why is it still buzzing after removing water?

ENT Specialist
I had Water in my ear I remove it but now when I cover my Ear I have A Mild Buzing sound
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If the mild buzzing sound (tinnitus) has been noticed just after water has entered your ear, there is no cause for worry. I am assuming that water was not forced into your ear by a strong jet of water.

2. Do not shake your ear vigorously or try to clean it with ear buds or other objects.

3. If the sound does not subside in 24 to 48 hours, or if you experience pain, you may get your ear examined by a local ENT specialist to rule out displaced ear wax (due to the water entering the ear) or early infection.

4. Sometimes cupping your hand over your ear leads to even normal people hearing buzzing sounds similar to holding a sea shell close to your ear.

5. Persistent tinnitus (buzzing) may be due to hearing loss, which may be age or occupation related, which you may now have noticed by chance. You may get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done to rule out hearing loss.

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.