Had vomiting, dry heaving followed by pressure in ear, sore throat. Could it be ruptured ear drum?

ENT Specialist
Question
I experienced a night of vomiting and dry-heaving and awoke the next morning with a feeling of pressure in my ear and very slight pain when I touch or rub my ear. I've also had some kind of bacterial/viral infection causing cold symptoms but those have since subsided for about 5 days with only a sore throat remaining. I'm aware it may be an infection but I'm wondering if it could be a blood vessel or even a rupture ear drum.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. There are a few possible reasons for this:
A. An ear infection due to the cold through the Eustachian tube.
B. Pressure transmitted into the ears due to the vomiting and retching.
c. Acid reflux into the ears due to the vomiting and retching.
d. Referred pain due to common nerve supply.

2. Get your ear drums, nose and throat examined. This ear discomfort may subside on it's own, however if you feel that it is worsening, medication may be prescribed by your doctor.

3. The ear examination will help rule out any ear drum rupture. A blood vessel issue is unlikely.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had vomiting, dry heaving followed by pressure in ear, sore throat. Could it be ruptured ear drum? 6 hours later
Any over the counter medicine I might try to relieve the pressure?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You may use an OTC nasal decongestant containing Xylometazoline (Otrivin) and steam inhalation. An OTC cold formula may also help.

2. However you must get a medical check-up to find the reason for the vomiting and the condition of the ear drums.

Regards.