Had vitrectomy surgery to remove macular pucker. Discovered retinal tear at upper left side. Suggest?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi, I had a vitrectomy surgery to remove the macular pucker 6 weeks ago and the C3F8 gas bubble injected. Today a follow check up doctor discover a retinal tear /detached at upper left side. He suggest a urgent surgery tomorrow and will use silicone oil. Please would you advice in general what to expect with the oil inside and what the period for the oil remained inside my eye? What is the vision like with the oil inside? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Silicone oil is removed after retina is attached

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Silicone oil is used in cases requiring XXXXXXX tamponade for attachment of retina after retinal detachment surgery. Usually gases like C3F8 gases are used to provide tamponade and the use of silicone oil is limited to complicated cases or in cases in which gas tamponade is not effective as in your case.

Silicone oil is one of the good options for using to provide XXXXXXX your tamponade but the main problem is it has to be removed later requiring second surgery.

Coming to your question, when silicone oil has to be removed?
Silicone oil is removed after few months of surgery depending on the status of retina. Upto 1 year silicone oil usually will not cause any side effects. Silicone oil has to be removed to prevent the development of complications of emulsification of oil, cataract, glaucoma...These side effects are more common after 2 years of placing the oil inside the eye, hence silicone oil has to be removed before this period.

Coming to your second question, what is the vision wit the oil inside?
Silicone oil will alter the refractive status of the eye, hence your vision will change with oil inside. However with change of glasses your vision will improve.

Hope I have answered your query

Thank you

Follow-up: Had vitrectomy surgery to remove macular pucker. Discovered retinal tear at upper left side. Suggest? 17 hours later
Thanks. Please advice if the silicone oil will affect the IOL implanted six years ago from the caratact surgery.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Silicone oil may affect the IOL

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking the follow up query.

Silicone oil is known to affect the IOL by coating the IOL if left for long time inside the eye. This effect is more pronounced in case of foldable IOL's particularly made of Silicone. If you have the details of previous cataract surgery with the type of IOL implanted you can discuss regarding this with your operating surgeon before surgery.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you