Had viral fever. Fever gone but have irritation in throat with dry cough. Suggest?

I had a viral fever in 1st week of Aug. Though fever had gone within 4~5 days, my throat is still not well. I have irriatation in throat and dry cough. Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit a doctor if symptoms are severe...

Detailed Answer:

Dry cough and throat irritation are the last symptoms to resolve following acute viral illness especially if the infection involved bronchus and lower respiratory tract. It can persist for 2 to 6 weeks. Symptoms gradually fades away with time and rest.

If it's severe and troubling you, I suggest you visit a nearest doctor - physician or ENT specialist and get yourself evaluated. He/she can prescribe to you antihistamine syrups. I usually write benadryl to my patients. This along with proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole can benefit you.

You can try warm saline gargles along with deep steam inhalation as you plan to visit your doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.