Had vertigo and constant tingling sensation in neck and scalp. Any ideas?

Jun 2015

Hi doc I am 61 run 5 miles a day and only eat organic food. I am very healthy. Monday I had some weird vertigo and consequent tingling in the back of my neck and scalp. Feels a little like someone is squeezing my brain. I am still running, working etc. I am on the computer finishing my doctorate quite a bit and am under a bit of stress attempting to finish my exam and dissertation defense, but this has been the case since January. An adjustment from my chiro yesterday helped to relieve the sxs somewhat but still a bit worried. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 40 minutes later

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be due to:
1. Any pathology in the vestibular apparatus in inner ear (it is associated with maintenance of body posture & balance)
2. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels such as Hypotension.
3. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
4. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Calcium, etc. which also interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
5. Tension/stress & lack of adequate rest and sleep.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
A CT scan of brain might be required to rule out any pathology.

So, it will be better to consult your General Physician & get a proper physical examination done.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, you should maintain adequate hydration, take a healthy balanced diet & avoid stress.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Had vertigo and constant tingling sensation in neck and scalp. Any ideas? 14 minutes later
Hey doc thanks for the prompt reply. I have already had blood pressure checked which is about 112/70, I do tend to have low blood sugar so I eat small meals all day long, I had these sxs a couple of years ago and did have a brain scan because I was also having some weird floaters through my vision, which showed nothing. This time there is nothing visual, no pain, or other sxs other than spaceyness, some mild vertigo, and tension in back of neck and tingling on scalp. I take a great source of natural vitamins, drink a lot of water, and as stated before exercise daily. the only problem I continue working on which has all my physician friends stumped is my elevated LDL's. I have brought these down quite a bit through vitamin supplementation as my diet is very low cholesterol. I have been told high LDL's is a normal side effect for some women in menopause which I also deal with. My HDL's are good from all my exercise. Do you see any problem with taking some anti-inflams? In the meantime I will contact my doc just to follow through. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up query.

I appreciate your concern towards healthy lifestyle.

As all your blood parameters are within normal limits, there is no harm in taking anti-inflammatory agents.
Acetaminophen(paracetamol) will be a good choice as it has lesser side effects as compared to other analgesic/anti-inflammatory agents.

As you are stressed, your symptoms might be related to it.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi