Had urine culture test after treatment with Cipro but still yielding Ecoli. Is Ecolia sign of UTI?

Is Ecoli in urine a sign of STI ? I have conducted urine culture test after treatment with Cipro but it's still yielding scanty Ecoli. Is Ecoli in urine harmful?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 16 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well in my opinion you are suffering from UTI (E.coli is the most common organism that causes UTI. You have already taken a course of antibiotics. Your infection is persisting.

Generally Nitrofurantoin, Septran are used for treating uncomplicated UTI . Since the infection is persisting may be the organism is not sensitive to the antibiotic taken. I advise you to see a physician and get culture sensitivity of urine so that appropriate antibiotic according to sensitivity can be started.
You haven’t mentioned any other signs like fever, frequency and burning micturition etc of UTI so consultation with expert physician is necessary to assess your condition.

Yes it is pathogenic organism and leads to infection, it is not a commensal thus it is harmful bacteria .

Get well soon.

Dr. Shruti