Had unprotected sex with individual having herpes. Is it possible to have a STD?

I have been with my wife for 10 years and married for 8. We have 3 children and she has obviously been tested for STDs during each of the 3 pregnancies and with the exception of having herpes which we knew before we got married and I would assume I am now a carrier since we have unprotected sex she can up negative for whatever they test for but I really believe that I have something. Is it possible to have an STD but not to have given it to her after all this time?
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Why do you think that you have an STD? Are you having symptoms? I am assuming that you are asking because of the ED. Please clarify.

Dr. Tim
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex with individual having herpes. Is it possible to have a STD? 13 hours later
well over the last 10 years or so there have been times that I have had a sore, not multiple or outbreak type of situation, on my shaft and or on my scrotum, and its happening again right now but i always attributed it to my wives herpes but this doesn't seem to resemble the look or description of herpes over the internet. If I had to guess it would be gonorrhea, syphilis, or chlamydia. Is it possible to have any of these and not to have passed these on to my wife after all these years?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 41 minutes later
First, it would be virtually impossible to be a carrier for any of these and not pass them to your wife at some point over the last 10 years. You are right, with each pregnancy, she is screened for each of these three STD's.

Second, the one STD which you know that you have is herpes. Recurrences can be small and confusing compared to prior outbreaks. Of all of the possibilities, this is the most likely.

What I would recommend is when you have another sore on the penis, go in to your doctor and have them look at this. This is the best way to make a firm diagnosis. Overall, though, I have little concern that this is one of the STD's that you are mentioning.

I hope this helps - Dr. Tim