Had unprotected sex with ejaculation several times. Am i at risk for HIV?

Dermatologist
Question
Dear sir/mam I am very confused. Some people say that in 1 unprotected sex HIV dont spread. My condition is that I had unprotected sex with ejaculation for 4 or 5 times. Everytime semen came in contact with mucus membrane of my vagina. Is 4 or 5 times unprotected sex with ejaculation enough to infect me if the male was HIV positive. Pls reply..
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Small but definite risk Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. I can understand your problem and anxiety. There is a very small but definite risk of HIV infection in your case. As said by you semen came in contact with your vaginal mucous membrane there is a risk of HIV transmission to you. The exact risk is 2-3 per 1000 acts i.e. 0.2 to 0.3% per act of sexual exposure. So the risk is small, but it is definitely there. I advise you to undergo HIV testing by ELISA at now and after 3 months of exposure. There is no need to panic but such encounters should be avoided in future. Hope this helps. I will be available for any further clarification. Regards. DrSudarshan MD HIV and STD specialist

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex with ejaculation several times. Am i at risk for HIV? 56 minutes later
Thanks doc. But i m confused. I have heard of cases where in a single unprotected sex HIV transmitted. I also read stories of getting HIV from rape victims. That means in single unprotected sex also hiv can transmit. Then only 0.2-0.3% chance?? Pls let me know the followings as it is very very important for me.. 1. In what situation a woman get infected with hiv in just one unprotected sex ? 2. I heard that during initial period of infection a man is more infectious. In first two or three months of infection the risk increases. If he is in first 3 months of infection then how much risk percentage increases for me? 3. If i had small microscopic cuts in my vagina due to friction during sex then is it high risk?? 4. If i don't become infected by having 5 or 6 times unprotected sex(except anal consider every other high risky vaginal sex) with him then what is the chance that he is not positive? Please reply. My situation is very complicated. I m not afraid of getting hiv i just want to know the truth. And i think 5 or 6 time unprotected sex is enough to get me hiv.. Pls reply And what is the accuracy of 3rd generation Elisa test at 45 days?? Does the result of 6 week changes in 3 months??

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Definite risk Detailed Answer: Hi again, To be XXXXXXX yes you can get HIV by single penetrative intercourse.You are definitely at risk of getting HIV due to unprotected sexual intercourse.Even a single act is enough for HIV transmission. To answer your questions 1.A women can get infected from man even in single sexual act when there is semen ejaculation in female. 2.Yes you are right during initial phase of viremia the HIV virus is present in all the body fluids including semen.If at that time sexual act takes place chances of HIV are increased.Percentage wise its still around 0.3% per exposure. 3.If you had any ulceration in vagina visible or microscopic then also risk is increased. 4.5-6 times unprotected sex is enough for HIV transfer as in your case if the man is HIV positive.You can get HIV infected by this kind of exposure. 5.3rd generation HIV ELISA is more than 90 % accurate at 45 days of exposure. It is almost 100 percent accurate at 3 months(90 days) after exposure. Result of 6 weeks can rarely change at 3 months. You need to repeat the test at 3 months to be absolutely sure. Hope this clears the matter. I will be available for further clarification. regard DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex with ejaculation several times. Am i at risk for HIV? 3 hours later
Thanks again. Please clarify if i don't get hiv from such unprotected sex( highly risk penetrative vaginal sex)for 4 or 5 times is it a great indicator that that person is not hiv positive? I think if he don't transmit hiv in highly risk penetrative vaginal sex he is hiv negative. Please reply in favour of my believe n faith. Pls.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Testing blood only way to confirm Detailed Answer: Hi again, If you dont get HIV from such unprotected high risk exposure it indicates that there is chance that person is HIV negative.But you cannot be sure that person is negative as chance of transmission per act is low.Only blood testing can confirm that whether a person is HIV negative or positive.Going by assumptions does not work in medicine, only testing can determine whether a person is HIV negative or positive. Hope this clarifies your matter. Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex with ejaculation several times. Am i at risk for HIV? 43 minutes later
Thnks doc for ur patience n advice. Here is the fact.. I asked him after having unprotected sex. He said that after a possible exposure he got tested at 45 days by Elisa n it was negative. After that only he decided to have unprotected sex. Then we had unprotected sex 4 or 5 times. If he is negative at 45 days n if i do Elisa after 3months n if test result is negative then according to ur knowledge how much safe i m?? I m confused. In public forum of this site Viniita Jhuntrraa , M.B.B.S., Member, CSEPI says that having unprotected sex for 6 times with hiv positive is very high risk. According to you per act risk is low. Really getting confused doc. Should i think that per act is low but 5 or 6 times is very high risk. Reply

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Brief Answer: definitely high risk Detailed Answer: Hi again, There is nothing to be confused about. Unprotected sex is definitely high risk exposure. 5 -6 times exposure is even more likely to transmit HIV than single exposure. The risk is multiplied after every exposure. I have never said that it is low risk activity.Even though risk per act is low it is greatly increased every time. So the public forum doctor is also correct and whatever exposure you had is definitely highrisk. Hope this clarifies your confusion. Regards