Had unprotected sex, have sore throat, fever, tonsillitis. Concerned about oral STD and HIV

A few days ago I had unprotected oral sex with a guy I do not know well. I immediately regretted my decision. The next few days I began to develop a sore throat and fever which then turned into tonsilitis. I concerned about oral stds and especially HIV. I've heard it's not as common to get HIV through oral but I'm concerned becaus of my symptoms. Would ars symptoms show up that soon or is it likely something unrelated ?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It is not common to get HIV infection by oral sex; but HIV infection can occur if-
You have weeping ulcers of mouth.
Or you also had unprotected sexual intercourse after the oral exposure.

But irrespective of the mode of transmission, HIV infection is usually asymptomatic for the first 3-6 weeks after exposure.

Based on your symptoms, there are possibilities that you may have contracted gonorrhea, infectious mononucleosis, chancroid or other bacterial infections. It is advisable to consult doctors at both informative and helpful to you. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, have sore throat, fever, tonsillitis. Concerned about oral STD and HIV 2 hours later
I have no ulcers or any sores in my mouth, but could the act itself cause a tear? Especially if it was sort of rough? Also, is there a certain amount of time i should wait before getting tested for the above and also for hiv? Perhaps I'm thinking too much into it and assuming the worst. I also did not engage in intercourse afterwards. Thank you for the information it was very helpful. I will definitely go to a clinic soon.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 4 hours later

Welcome back.

Oral sex is highly unlikely to result in tear by itself even if vigorous.

You can get a throat swab gram stain and culture/sensitivity right now and a test for HIV after a couple of weeks and 3months later if you get symptoms. I am sure the doctors and the clinic would guide you with the right test.

Please avoid high risk behaviour such as the current one in the future. And do not worry about the present episode.

I hope this review resolves your doubts, if still need some help please write me back. I would try my best efforts to help you out.

Wish you a pink of health!