Had unprotected sex before periods and now periods are delayed. Have periodic pain and white discharge. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

I had unprotected sex for 3 days regularly before periods due date and now periods are delayed for the fifth day today I do have periodic pains and ample amount of white discharge but no periods yet. Can I be pregnant?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, unprotected sex for 3 days before period due date is very much safe and here chance of being pregnant is almost nil literally if previous cycles are regular.

Period due date may alter 1-7 days and it is considered as normal thing. It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress/anxiety. Other reasons are irregular diet habit, weight gain/ loss, ovarian cyst, psychological factors etc.

Abdominal cramp and white discharge may be seen a few days prior the commencement of period. It indicates that you will get your period shortly. Here, you can wait for few more days to get period naturally. You would take healthy diet with avoidance of spicy foods/ salt/ coffee, drink more water, control body weight, avoid stress by regular meditation and take sound sleep. This will help to get your period.

If you do not get your period after 7 days of due date, you must undergo one home pregnancy test initially to rule out pregnancy. Blood test for beta-hCG is more reliable to confirm pregnancy. Following test reports, you need to consult with gynecologist for next line management of the case.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex before periods and now periods are delayed. Have periodic pain and white discharge. Pregnant? 1 hour later
We had sex for 3 continuous days and till date only white discharge and mild abdominal and pain. This is worrying me! Additional to this even my Ramzan are going on and I was fasting for 3 days but now I'm not fasting. Please tell me something helpful for this.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned that here chance of pregnancy is almost nil with above sexual activity in safe period. Though, you may undergo one home pregnancy test to clear confusion.

With negative test, you may wait for few more days to get period naturally. Otherwise, you can consult with gynecologist for clinical examination and other investigation (if needed). After that, your doctor may give progesterone pill to induce your period in the absence of pregnancy.

In the mean time, you must follow previous suggestive measures to bring back your period. Take healthy diet and avoid mental stress. Keep bowel habit regular.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy. Good luck.

Dr Soumen