Had unprotected sex after period. Experiencing mild cramping, dull back pain and headache. Could I be pregnant?

Question
Hello, I really want to know if I should be worried or not. I had unprotected sex 5 days after my period. About 5 days after that I started having mild cramps and discharge. It has been about a week since I still have mild cramping, now I also have a dull back ache, headache as soon as I wake up for the last 2 days. I never have cramps or especially back pain the mid of cycle. I'm supposed to start my period in a week. But I feel like I could be pregnant. Could I be?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need tests...

Detailed Answer:

You need to be evaluated not for pregnancy but for infections.

Unprotected sexual intercourse besides pregnancy also increases incidence of genitourinary infection. The cramping and discharge can be significant and you might need antibiotic therapy.

As far as pregnancy is concerned, the chances of pregnancy is very low as the time of intercourse was in relatively safe period.

So yes, I am concerned, because of a possible pelvic infection. Please visit your gynecologist for detailed examination. She can order basic urine tests as well as microscopic examination of vaginal discharge to exclude infection.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.