Had unprotected sex. What are the risks of having HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hello. I had an exposure to HIV. I was top during insertive anal to a positve bottom. During first insertion, condom broke. Heard the snap and pulled out right away. I've researched a bit on PEP. Not sure if I'd be prescribed it. Risk seems low?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Anal insertive intercourse with a known HIV positive individual puts you at definitely high risk of infection. That too, you feel the condom broken and you pulled out immediately. Even then the risk cannot be ruled out.

It is better for you to take PEP. It has to be taken as early as possible, preferably within six hours. Even if it is more than six hours you can try with pep up to 24-48 hours. After 72 hours there is no use of taking PEP.
PEP drugs is of two types:
Basic Regimen - Two NRTI ( nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor) drugs
Extended regimen- Two NRTIs + one boosted PI ( protease inhibitor).
Both of them are to be taken for 4 weeks.
The regimen is decided by Exposure code and Source Status code. These are all for accidental pricks and not for post sexual exposures.
It is preferred to have the extended regimen for 4 weeks as early as possible to be on the safer side and wear good quality of condom with correct procedure to avoid such risks.

Get yourself protected as early as possible.
Dr S.Murugan