Had unprotected sex. Took ELISA and HIV viral load tests. Having rashes and fatigue. Any other accurate tests for HIV ?

I had unprotected sex with a sex worker about 6 years ago and had typical acute HIV symptoms for a few months - I have been tested with ELISA tests and viral load for HIV-1 AND HIV-2 - I and my wife have several rashes , fatigue and other symptoms of early HIV disease. Is it possible I have a CRF variety or HIV Type O which would not show up on these tests? Desiring your answer. What more accurate tests can be taken to eliminate the possibilty of these other varieties of HIV?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later
I presume your tests for HIV were negative.
Fatigue, rashes etc can be a part of any sort of viral or other infection and should not be thought of as a sequel of HIV infection.
If your tests have been negative all these years and you have not been exposed again, it is highly unlikely that these symptoms are from HIV.
CRF or circulating recombinant forms can occur only once you are infected with HIV. No other tests are needed to rule out HIV. I would like to reassure you that you are free from infection and would urge you to practice safe sexual intercourse in the future. Also, avoid intravenous drug abuse or any other high risk behaviour known to be associated with HIV.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Dr.Rohit Batra