Had unprotected sex. Suffering from diarrhea and muscle pain. Are these related to STD?

Jul 2012

Hello. I'm a 32 year old caucasian male from Michigan. 18 weeks ago, I had stupid, unprotected vaginal intercourse with a woman. The encounter was not rough. The woman had no obvious sores or wounds and was not menstruating. I had no sores or wounds on my genitals and had confirmed no STDs a month prior to the encounter. At 16 weeks post exposure, I took blood and urine tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, HIV, Herpes 1 and 2, as well as Hepatitis B and C. All results were negative. The Hep B test was only for the surface antigen, however, so at 17 weeks post exposure I took a full panel test for Hep B. The results were as follows:

HBsAg = negative
anti-HBc = negative
anti-HBs = positive

I want to believe that my results are conclusive but in the past two and a half months, I have been suffering from chronic loose stool and diarrhea, and I have been experiencing muscle pain in my legs. I've also noticed what appear to be spider veins on my thighs. My stomach will gurgle after eating. I've had no nausea, vomitting, jaundice, dark urine or abdominal pain. My appetite has been normal. No fevers, either.

I'm otherwise healthy except for two items: I've always suffered from high blood pressure (average reading is 155/90) and for the past few years have consumed excessive alcohol (several drinks per day). I've quit alcohol completely in the last two weeks and am going to see my doctor about my high blood pressure once my new insurance kicks in. I've also been under constant stress and anxiety over the sexual encounter - four straight months of constant worry.

Do my results at 16 weeks prove that my symptoms are not related to any STD? I am taking steps to improve my health (no alcohol, better diet and exercise) and hope that my symptoms are the result of not taking care of myself and not a one time unprotected sexual encounter. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 17 hours later
Hi there.
Chill & Relax. Your symptoms are those of anxiety & in no way related to that sexual encounter except for the stress accompanying it that seems to have caused an 'irritable bowel syndrome' also known as IBS. The tests are all fine & it is heartening to know you are taking steps to improve your lifestyle & Wish you continued good health! Cheers & Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India