Had unprotected sex. P24 antigen duo test, DNA PCR test showed negative. Risk for HIV transmission?

I had a protected vaginal sex but unprotected insertive fellatio on 3rd March 2013 . Went for P24 antigen duo test and DNA PCR test on 11th March 2013 and 19th March 2013 and all 4 tests turned out to be negative
Q1 . Please let me know the risk of getting hiv taking into consideration my exposure
Q2 . Wether the tests are conclusive of my negative status.
Q3. Do i need to take any more tests. If yes at what time frame and which test
Q4. Can u refer me any doctor in kolkata if any consultation is at required
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The risk of HIV transmission is less with oral sex than with vaginal intercourse, though the exact figure is unknown.

The window period of a test is the time from possible infection till when a test can conclusively state if the infection is present.

The p24 test detects the presence of a specific protein that is found with the HIV virus in the early period after infection. The window period of this test is 11 days to one month. This means that after this time frame the result can be taken as accurate. It is not used often because it has a low sensitivity which means that there are alot of false negative results.

The DNA PCR test is highly accurate, this test looks for the actual genetic material of the virus.It's window period is 2 to 3 weeks. You had this done lastly 16 days after exposure which is just over 2 weeks.
Based on this negative result and the form of intimacy, the results can be taken as conclusive- they are negative

If , to ease your mind ,you wish to do the PCR now , since it would be pass the 3 week XXXXXXX you can but it is not necesssary.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. P24 antigen duo test, DNA PCR test showed negative. Risk for HIV transmission? 3 hours later
Thanx Doc for your kind reply .

I have refrained from having any kind of sex with my wife since exposure . Can i continue my normal life and have unprotected sex with my wife since u have mentioned the tests are conclusive .

I have had lot of stress , guilt , fear and i some how kept my performance level in my work life as i have a aspiring career and at any cost i would not want to go that for a toss .

This was my 1st time i got indulged in any extramarital sexual activity and i dont no how that happened . I swear to god that i will not get into such pissed out activities

Taking your advise as i am entirely risk free , may i go on without any anxiety and stress in my work and home life Your comments are really comforting .

As you have already mentioned , but just to reteriate , is there no requirement for any further tests for confirmation of my negative status . One Manager from SRL RELIGARE diagonistic centre ( from where i took the tests ) also told me that no further test are required . Looking forward to your valuable inputs
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Hi, it is understandable to be concerned and anxious , HIV is scary but the tests are conclusive. You can resume intimacy with your wife.

Best of luck

Please feel free to contact with any other problems
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. P24 antigen duo test, DNA PCR test showed negative. Risk for HIV transmission? 17 hours later
Hi Doc , Thanks for your kind reply .

Today , ie on the 33rd day of exposure i had gone for HIV 1 and 2 antibody and P24 ANTIGEN DUO test . The results were negative .

Please advise as to wether i can conclude myself as negative now . (Though u have already stated to continue my normal life , but i am bit skeptical and sorry about the same as it concerns my beloved wife . ) Or i have to take futher test to take a conculsive decision , if yes , at what time frame and which test specifically as i would have to tell the diagonistic centre

As this would be my last question to you , would request to provide all the details which would help me .............

Thanking you in advance for your support and advice
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, yes you can consider yourself negative.
Remember that the window period for the DNA PCR test which is the more accurate of the two, is 2 to 3 weeks.
Your initial test was after this time period and from those results you can be considered negative.

I know hiv is a scary disease but your results are definitely negative