Ask a Urologist   »  

Had unprotected sex. Noticed tingling sensation while peeing. What could be causing this?

I had unprotected sex 4 days ago and then 2 days later I noticed that when I went pee I had a slight tingling sensation, not burning at all, and started to bleed a little bit (I thought I was starting my period). So I put a tampon in and when I took it out to change it, it was clean with no blood. I am not experiencing any pain at all and there is a odd slight odor but my urine isn't cloudy or anything. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello I would be happy to help your with your question.

The most likely explanation for you symptoms is a bladder infection. This could easily be checked with a test of your urine by your OB/GYN. A bladder infection can be associated with a small amount of blood in the urine, and your risk factor for getting an infection is recent intercourse.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Noticed tingling sensation while peeing. What could be causing this? 48 minutes later
That is what I thought it was (a bladder infection) although there wasn't blood in my urine, it was more as if I were starting to menstruate (but I only bled when I was to use the restroom). Could that still be a bladder infection?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thanks for the followup.

Yes it could still be a bladder infection. Also, the bleeding might be a little confusing in terms of where it actually came from. I still think it could be related to your urinary tract symptoms.

In addition, it might be a good idea to check a pregnancy test!

Good luck!