Had unprotected sex. Noticed red circular dot on foreskin. What could it be?

Dermatologist
Question
A few days ago I was having sex and noticed a single red circular dot about 1 centimeter in diameter on my foreskin. It wasn't there before the sex, and has been there for a few days now. I am uncircumcised, and have been clean of any STI's as far as I know. The girl I've been having sex with is clean as well, and we've been exclusively having sex with each other for a month now, unprotected but she is on birth control. There are no other red dots anywhere on my penis, it is just that one. The dot is only pink/red, no white. It is flat and appears shiny. What could it be?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later

It can be due folliculitis, frictional dermatitis, candidal posthitis.

You should be checked by the Dermatologist or General Physician to rule out the above conditions.

In the mean time you can apply OTC (Over The Counter) canestan lotion and cortaid lotion twice a day for 7 days.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Thanks and take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Noticed red circular dot on foreskin. What could it be? 1 hour later
I was wondering how you came to choose those three as your best choices? Looking up the symptoms for each online didn't seem to fit my description. Mine is not as severe or hopefully not as progressed. It is just one single circular red/pink dot. There is no swelling, no puss, no itching. When you touch the dot it is raised but barely and to the point where you may not even notice. There are no other dots anywhere, it is just that one.

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The above three are the most common causes of pink /red spots on the penis area after sexual intercourse. The most common STD that one can think of in your case would be a fungal / Candida infection. The chances of any other STD are negligible as you mentioned you have a single partner and you have been having a clean relation only with her.

Please do try the above treatment as I have mentioned and if it does not go away, other conditions will need to be ruled out (even non infectious ones like psoriasis, contact eczemas).

I am sure that it will go away in a week’s time. It is definitely not a serious condition of concern. There is no major STD associated with this kind of symptom.

Please do not worry and everything that is written online is not right. A physical examination is required to confirm the cause.

Thanks and take care.