Had unprotected sex. No flu,rashes,lymph nodes. Having blood in stool. HIV?

Hi Doctor,

I am 30 year male from India. I had a sex with a female friend approx. 34 years old on 8th Feb-13.I used male condom for viginal/anal/oral sex.Only mistake I had done, I used same fingers to put condom before sex. I got tensed of having infected with HIV next day of this incident.
I had a talk with her on 17 th Feb-13 and I told why I am worrying too much. She decided to go for testing as I was sure of not having HIV( I tested -ve before marriage and after marriage my wife tested -ve during pregnancy , and I only had sex with my wife except this incident since I tested negative.). She tested on 18th march -negative.
I got a little bit relief but things started to attack my mind after 2 -3 days. I did not have any flu,rashes,lymph nodes etc. since 8th march. I had white mucus in stools for 2 days but I think it was due to constipation and some incomplete food. I took some homeo medicine and light food.

Please help me ...I am not able to think and decide what to do next for removing my anxiety. I have become father of a child also. Should I get tested ? 6 weeks testing is reliable?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The window period of the HIV test is the time between contact or infection and when the virus can be accurately detected.
The window period for HIV can vary according to the type of test done. If you do the PCR DNA test, the window period is 2 to 3 weeks and this would mean that it would accurately tell you whether you are infected at this time because you are 4 weeks post exposure.The PCR test looks for the level of the virus itself.
The ELISA test has a window period of 3 to 6 months because it looks for the body's reaction to the virus.

If possible you can do the PCR test and this would let you know if you are infected.It is unlikely that you will feel completely worry free till this is done.
The fact that your partner had a negative test is reassuring but it would still be best to be tested yourself.

Condoms are highly effective in reducing the chances of transmission and reduces the likelihood of any problems.

I hope this helps.Please feel free to ask any other questions