Had unprotected sex. Implanted embryo. Now pregnant. Parental identity?

Question
I have been sleeping with a 33 year old woman who has had years of miscarriage and undergone 2 previous failed IVF cycles. She started her 3rd cycles a few months back with her partner but was still sleeping with me. They implanted one embryo and she is now what she believes to be 6 weeks pregnant as tests have come back positive. My question is, as I have had unprotected sex with her on many occasions before and during her 2 week wait of embryo implantation, could the kid be mine in any way? I was not sure if the embryo transfer could have failed but if she was still superovulating and conceived with me at similar time. Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The most common time for conceiving is the second week after menstruation that is after the first 7 days of menstruation and upto one week that is the week of ovulation or ovulation period

If you had an unprotected sex with her in the ovulation period and you both are fertile then there are chances that she may have conceived from your sperm incase the embryo implantation have failed but after fertilization the only way for the confirmation of the baby can be done by DNA testing which can detect the father of the baby.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Implanted embryo. Now pregnant. Parental identity? 31 minutes later
many thanks from your response. The last time we slept together wa at the start of her second week after implantAtion. Any chance can still be mine? We did have unprotected sex quite alot but thought we were safe due to the time scales and everything of the ivf awake. But have since heard that due to super ovulation and entra embrYo released this can carry on after some embrYo removed and therefore again it could be my baby? Only asking so if possibly mine i would ask for dna test

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 22 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

As she already had implantation prior to intercourse with you. There are very many chances as She had implantation which if failed can result in miscarriage and per vaginal bleeding.

The other finding can be detected by ultrasound at some stage later which will show the age of baby. if its equal the time of implantation then the baby is the result of implantation but if 2 weeks after implantation then there are chances of your baby. In that case you can go for DNA test

Thanks

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Implanted embryo. Now pregnant. Parental identity? 10 minutes later
we had intercourse on Monday. Following Monday home preg test Showed positive.
she has also had many miscarriages but no bleeding? So no sign of it failing or succeeding apart from pregnancy test 7 days after last time we had sex

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

The home pregnancy test is done on urine pregnancy strips which becomes positive after 12 weeks of the conception while you had the results after one week which means the baby is not yours and she was pregnant 2 weeks prior to performing the test

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask

Thanks