Had unprotected sex. Got tested for STD and herpes. Nothing was wrong. Worried? Still have a chance to show up?

Question
Hello, I had unprotected sex once 3 months ago and the guy told me he was clean. Since then I've been paranoid that I've gotten an STD, especially herpes and I've been to the doctors about 6 times to be tested and checked out and I've always been told that there was nothing wrong. I haven't had sex since then and I was wondering if there still is a high chance that I could have herpes show up?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for consulting us.
I think you should stop worrying about herpes now. You are well beyond the incubation period for herpes. It would have shown up early on, if you have acquired it three months ago.
However, I strongly recommend you to use condoms in future & practice safe sex, if you don't want to become anxious again.
Hope I have provided you the desired response. Please write back if you have any question.
Best regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Got tested for STD and herpes. Nothing was wrong. Worried? Still have a chance to show up? 9 hours later
So it isn't likely that I'll have a herpes outbreak months after a supposed exposure?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 17 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for your question.
It is true that genital herpes may go unnoticed or asymptomatic ( which I think is the cause of your concerns ), but you have mentioned in your question that you have been tested 6 times & were found negative & there is no episode of clinical disease in last three months. So I think it is quite unlikely that you have acquired this infection, three months ago.
However, if you have another exposure after that initial incident & testing then you may need repeat testing to exclude infection.
Hope I am clear this time. Please write back if you need further help.
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Got tested for STD and herpes. Nothing was wrong. Worried? Still have a chance to show up? 15 hours later
Thanks so much. I just have one more question, I've always had these bumps around my labia minora which look like chicken skin. I read that these were fordyce spots and was wondering if this was normal? They don't hurt or anything and you can't really notice it unless you stretch the skin out. If it was herpes bumps it would be noticeable and painful?

Thanks, I've just been having a bit of anxiety and have been looking in my magnifying mirror a bit too much.

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for your response & very sorry for the late reply.
If these spots were present when you were examined by different doctors then these are quite unlikely to be due to herpes as herpes lesions are quite typical & it is very difficult to miss them on clinical examination. Yes, you are right that herpes lesions are very painful & when active lesions are present lab diagnosis is rarely required.
I suggest you should see a gynecologist for confirmation of diagnosis ( of these lesions) as some spots need biopsy to confirm diagnosis. After that only we can comment on the nature of these spots.
Hope I have given you the desired response.
Warm regards.