Had unprotected sex. Do not want to conceive. Prescribed Regesterone. Will my pregnancy get terminated if I have periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
HI I AM 29 YRS OLD WITH 1 LIVING ISSUE ABOUT 3 YRS. OLD. I HAD UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY HUSBAND. MY LMP IS 31/07/2013. THE HOME PREGNANCY TEST KIT CAME VE.I DON'T WANT TO CONCEIVE RIGHT NOW. I HAD CONSULTED A DOCTOR WHO ASKED ME TAKE REGESTRONE 5 MG TWICE DAILY FOR 5 DAYS AND TOLD THAT MY PERIODS SHOULD COME BY. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF I HAVE MY PERIODS THEN THE PREGNANCY IS TERMINATED OR NOT? AND IF I DON'T HAVE MY PERIODS BY THIS METHOD WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I NEED TO TAKE?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
termination of the pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
According to your description, I am thinking that your pregnancy test is positive.
In that case you have to consult gynecologist once, get examined and go for one ultrasound.
By this, the presence of pregnancy can be confirmed and also the gestational age can be estimated.
Then according to the gestational age you can choose the method of abortion according to your doctor's advice.
According to your last menstrual period, you may be having around 6 weeks of pregnancy. In that case termination by tablets is possible.
But regesterone tablets won't help in termination of the pregnancy.
They can induce withdrawal bleeding in case of negative pregnancy test only.
Hope I have answered your query.
I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Do not want to conceive. Prescribed Regesterone. Will my pregnancy get terminated if I have periods? 1 hour later
MY PREGNANCY TEST WAS POSITIVE INDEED. MY LMP START DATE WAS 31/07/2013 & END DATE WAS 04/08/2013. CAN YOU SUGGEST THE NAME OF THE TABLETS FOR TERMINATION OF PREGNANCY?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
As I told previously before going for termination of the pregnancy, ultrasound examination is a must to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to rule out ectopic pregnancy and to estimate the gestational age.
So you please consult nearby gynecologist, get examined, go for ultrasound and with her advice take tablets for termination.