Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again?

Excellent

Question
Hello Doctor

I had a unprotected encounter with a woman on 18th of XXXXXXX did hiv test on 17th of august it was negative. Again repeated the hiv test today 30th august result is negative. Should i repeat the test again by next week. are the results conclusive enough. I am worried please help.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
12weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking.

HIV testing by the ELISA test can give false negative results upto 12 weeks of the exposure due to the window period effect.

As your exposure was on 18 XXXXXXX a completely safe time to get the test done will be 12 weeks after 18 XXXXXXX i.e 18 september.

I think you should redo the test at that time, as a negative test will be sure enough to rulwe out HIV.

Also get yourself checked for hepatis B, Hepatis C , Chlamydia, Gonorrhea also as these STD are also very common along with HIV.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again? 7 minutes later
thank u doctor.

according to the dates it is 74 days almost 11 weeks. i tested negative for all the std.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
12 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Documented figure is 12 weeks from the exposure, I will adivse you to redo the test in 2 weeks to be absolutely sure.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again? 3 minutes later
thank you.

how accurate is a 74 day test.
and the woman i had the encounter is not a prostitute.i know the woman personally from 5-6 years. she is a house wife.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not much data

Detailed Answer:
All the dats is either just after the exposure or at 12 weeks after that, as such data at every day is neither available or relevant.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again? 20 minutes later
doctor the date i mentioned was wrong by mistake. the exact date is 11th of XXXXXXX test repeated on 30 th august. according to my calculation it is 80 days. please advice.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
15 september will be a good day to check it again.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again? 6 minutes later
thank you.just one more question. How accurate is my test result accordingly from time of exposure till now.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nearly 100%

Detailed Answer:
As it is already close to 11 weeks, your chances of having infection is next to negligible.I am advising you to redo in 15 days to be 100% sure.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Did HIV test twice which was negative. Need to do test again? 10 minutes later
Thank You very much doc... i am kind of relived with your reply. i will repeat the test as u said for 100% assurance .

Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Glad to help you.

You can ask me directly at.

WWW.WWWW.WW