Had unprotected sex. Delayed periods. Any chance of pregnancy?

Question
Hi Doctor,

I had unprotected intercourse with my girl friend. First 2 times i used precaution(condom) third time we had intercourse but i didnt cum inside her. she had periods on last 27th july. now its 26th aug. I'm worried. and we had intercourse on 6th aug. is there chances of pregnancy. if she is positive can you prescribe any abortion pills so that i will get her that pill. how much time will it take her to get next periods.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
There is a chance of pregnancy if she has a regular, 30 day cycle. The time you had unprotected intercourse was the time she had ovulation and that is a time when women can conceive. Even though, cum has not entered into the vagina, there might be few sperms might have entered in the vagina.
As of now, she should wait for 3-4 days to get her period. If she doesn’t get her period 1 week past the due date, she should do the urine pregnancy test. This kit is available at the chemist and she should be using an early morning sample of urine for the same. She should follow the instructions on the kit carefully. If you want to find out before that, get a serum beta hCG level done from a local lab. A rising serum beta hCG is indicative of pregnancy.
The question off abortion comes into picture once the pregnancy is confirmed. Abortion pills need to be taken under the supervision of a physician. They can cause severe bleeding which can be fatal as well.
Hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Delayed periods. Any chance of pregnancy? 2 hours later
She has a proper 28 days cycle doctor. She has not got her periods yet. So I'm worried. She is afraid to go to doctor. Is there any other way to get abortion done.

Last option:
IF i take her to doctor, how many hours she should be under observation?
Will it be done in a day.. If i walk in the morning will it be done by the evening time?
Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back,

If pregnancy is confirmed and if you wish to terminate, the best option is to consult a gynecologist and take the necessary steps under the guidance of him/her.

The doctor shall prescribe the drugs and instruct her/you about how to take them. There is no stay in the hospital required.

I understand your concern. In India, the most effective and safest way to abort is through a qualified doctor.

Hope I answered your query.
If you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Delayed periods. Any chance of pregnancy? 1 hour later
How does the abortion pill works?
I mean as this is the first month(21st day after we had intercourse). How much it will be painful?
Will the fetus be growing?
or as per my understanding XXXXXXX It's early stage so the day abortion pill is taken that day will be painful and next few days will be bleeding like period time"
Correct me if am wrong.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
As this is quite early stage of pregnancy, fetus is just starting growing. It is relatively easy to abort but should be done by qualified specialist.
There is bearable pain initially as it contracts the Uterus. Most times tablet may give rise profuse bleeding and occasionally one has to consult gynaecologist for the treatment. They can confirm with an Ultrasound if the product has come out completely.
Hope, I answered your query.
If you do not have more query or clarification,you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thanks.