Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. No cuts or sores on penis

General Surgeon
Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTITATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit". What does this mean? Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice. I dont have any hiv symptoms and also any cuts or sores in my penis.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

"less than detection limit" simply means that the DNA of HIV were as low as it could not be detected. In one word this is negative result - no virus has been found.
In such situation you may assume that you have not been infected.
To be 100% sure, this test should be repeated in 12 weeks after last possible HIV contact. So in your case, you should repeat it after 8 weeks.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. No cuts or sores on penis 5 minutes later
thank you so much for your reply doctor. But I heard PCR results are accurate after 2-3 weeks post exposure? How accurate are my results? Has hiv transmitted by receiving oral sex?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Yes, PCR tests are very accurate and has high sensitivity so it can detect low level virus DNA. However it takes some time for virus replication and reaching sufficient for PCR test detection level. Such replication time can vary and it is possible that the level of virus were not enough to detect it even after 3 weeks. This is extremely rare, but it is possible. That is why it should be repeated after 12 weeks just to be 100% sure.
Oral sex brings some risk of HIV infection. Such risk is lower than regular intercourse, however it is possible.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. No cuts or sores on penis 7 minutes later
is there a possibility for the test results to change at 12 weeks time? Should i be worried in this scenario?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
You should not be worried. The chance of such scenario is less than few percent what means it happens extremely rare. Repeating this test is just a precaution.

Regards.