Had unprotected intercourse in fertile period. Got period. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
hi

Me and my boyfriend had sex on 4th of this month and i got my periods last month on 18th and this months i still get my periods and am sure that i made him pull out before the climax but still am worried pls advice
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to help you.

According to your last menstrual period (18th January), your expected due date was around 16th- 18th February in case of 28- 30 days cycle. Here, you ovulated around 2nd-4th February. From above information, I can assume that you did unprotected sexual intercourse on 4th February that was fertile/ unsafe period. Therefore, you have quite chance of being pregnant as pull out method has high failure rate near about 15-28 % per year. It has been seen that pre ejaculate/ prostatic fluid (secreted prior actual ejaculation) contains sperm and causes pregnancy.

Now, as you got your period, it is unlikely for you to be pregnant. Though, we need to confirm whether it is menstrual bleeding or abortion bleeding. Sometimes miscarriage is mistaken as menstrual bleeding.Therefore, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG to exclude conception completely. After that, you can consult with gynecologist for further suggestive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse in fertile period. Got period. Chances of pregnancy? 14 minutes later
i still didnt get the period thats wat i mentioned in the previous info and if i have to go for the test can u suggest some good hospitals in bangalore and what kind of test need to be done and if i do the test with in one week will i get the correct result???
please advice

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query and giving me right information.

In your previous query, you have mentioned that this month you still get your period and now you are telling that you have missed period. This can make a big difference in proper explanation & guidance of your condition. Though, I think it is just a mistake on writing.

OK, I previously told you that there is quite chance of being pregnant. In the initial stage, you can check or confirm pregnancy by simply doing a home pregnancy test with urine for beta-HCG. Here, you can buy pregnancy strip or test kit from local medical shop and check it with just 2 drops of urine in home.

Sometimes, other factor like stress/ tension/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular diet habit or weight change may cause delayed period beside pregnancy. Therefore, I suggest you to wait at least 7 days for period before proceeding to home pregnancy test.

It has been seen that about 95% pregnancy strip tests give positive result around missed period date or 2 weeks after ovulation. 96-99% positive result is achieved 7 days after missed period.

For 100% confirmation, you need to undergo one blood test for beta HCG and ultrasound scan for lower abdomen.

If you get positive result on pregnancy, you must consult with your gynecologist for further management.

For good gynecologist/ hospitals, you may contact with XXXXXXX support team or you can search in your area on this WWW.WWWW.WW
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse in fertile period. Got period. Chances of pregnancy? 3 minutes later
Thank you so much for the advice Dr will wait for 7 days and then will proceed further.

thank you so much .

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 minutes later

You are most welcome in XXXXXXX platform.

Now you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Practice safe sex in future to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse in fertile period. Got period. Chances of pregnancy? 3 days later
Hi Dr,

i did the HCG test and the result came as 106.43 mIu/mL and the doc am consulting she is not available till monday and i want to know what is the meaning for the result and i also did the ultrasonic test the doc said she didnt see anything in the scan but when we did the urin test it came as positive pls advice

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

According to blood HCG result (106.43 mIU/ml) and positive urine test, it mostly suggests that you are pregnant right now.

Early ultrasound scan (abdominal) may not reveal anything about gestational sac or product of conception. Therefore, you can undergo one Trans Vaginal Sonograpy (TVS scan) which can reveal detailed picture on gestational sac around 4-5 weeks (from last date of menstrual period). TVS scan gives 2 weeks earlier results than normal abdominal ultrasound scan.

Here, you can consult with your gynecologist regarding this and proceed to further management as applicable.

Hope, I have answered your query and feel free to ask for further clarification.

Dr Soumen.