Had unprotected intercourse during ovulation period. Started bleeding. Any chances of pregnancy?

my wife has period on 1st feb 2013 which lasted 5 days. on 14 feb i had sex without using condom. now on the 16th she has started bleeding which she is surprised as it is not a proper menstural cycle. Is my wife pregnant??
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later

If your wife has regular 28-30 day cycles, ovulation usually occurs around 14th-16th day after the first day of the last cycle. So, you had intercourse around this time,i.e., the fertile period. The chances of pregnancy are quite good.

Bleeding after intercourse is not normal. You should get her examined to rule out any cervical or vaginal lesions; cervicitis or cervical erosions and vaginitis can cause bleeding after intercourse.

Hormonal imbalances should also be ruled out. It is too early to say if she is pregnant. A pregnancy can be diagnosed not sooner than 10 days after conception by any means.

I hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse during ovulation period. Started bleeding. Any chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Also to tell you that her period was for roughly 6-7 days. well, i told you about bleeding...... actually it happens only after passing urine and it is brown-ish in colour. she had it twice after urinating and the second time was slight. About the unprotected sex which we had, iam sure i did not come inside her. Even though if i have come inside her unknowingly it wont be more than 2-3 drops of sperm.
Can u tell me what is the amount of sperm required to get pregnant.

Also i wish to ask you, the brown-ish colour bleeding that too on the 1st day after ovulation is a sign of pregnancy or a kind of infection. If it is many days will the bleeding be?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If the bleeding seems to be associated with passing urine, it is ideal to get the urine tested for infection and occult blood, as cystitis and urethritis sometimes do occur after intercourse and the trauma could cause post coital bleeding. Brownish color of the blood indicates old bleeding, not a fresh one.

The ovulation bleed may be seen for 1-2 days sometimes and maybe visible as a speck in many cases. It is fresh bleeding, pink or red in color. Bleeding soon after ovulation is not a sign of pregnancy.

As for insemination, it is enough for micro-quantities of semen to impregnate a fertile woman. Semen deposited on the vagina can also lead to fertilization, there is no need for penetration also.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any further queries, please feel free and ask. I will be ready to help.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse during ovulation period. Started bleeding. Any chances of pregnancy? 16 minutes later
as u said, depositing sperm on vagina can lead to fertilization.....well i did cum on her stomach and it did drip on her vagina but also as u said discharge during passing urine is a sign of infection. so here i take it as..... what if the discharge is normally anytime and not during passing urine. is it pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later

As I said, there are several possible reasons for the discharge and it is difficult to pinpoint without a physical examination. It is not possible to diagnose pregnancy at this stage and bleeding at this stage is not due to pregnancy; implantation bleeding that is seen as the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall, occurs around 10 days after ovulation,i.e., around the time when the next period is due. Other possible causes of early trimester bleeding like a chemical pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy, threatened abortion or missed abortion also present at or after the time of next period. So, as you see now, pregnancy is not the possible reason for the bleeding now. The cause needs to be elicited by her doctor at a physical examination.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If you need no further clarifications, please close this discussion and rate this answer.