Had too many sweets and refined flour items. Vomited badly and diarrhea. feel little queasy. Could it be food poisoning?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I thought maybe I ate too many sweets and refined flour items yesterday, because I got sick. I vomited a large amount to the point of dry heaves, had one soft bm, then diarrhea. I ate nothing further but drank water to replenish myself. I drink bottled spring water. Did I have food poisoning. I still feel a little queasy .
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it sounds like infectious gastroenterocolitis and it definitely could be caused by food that you mentioned. most common this is staphyloccocus or escherichia coli infection. But also, sweets can lead to vomiting/diarrhea even without poisoning since sweets will cause intrabowel fluid accumualtion and hypermotility of bowels. You should drink plenty of fluids(water,tea) in next 48 hours and eat easier food(toasted bread, rice, fresh fruit, probiotics).Symptoms may persist for several days and fever may occur but serious consequances are rare and there is no need to visit doctor unless you have some signs of dehydration(dry skin and tongue, fatigue, dizziness,hypotension).in this case,visit doctor ASAP.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Had too many sweets and refined flour items. Vomited badly and diarrhea. feel little queasy. Could it be food poisoning? 22 hours later
Is it ok to eat meatless chicken broth and I only have minute rice brown rice ?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
yes,you can. You can eat soups,and even boiled meat(chicken would be best) with boiled potato. So your meals should be simple and just avoid fried,fat and spicy food as well as alcohol,coffee and carbonated drinks. Also,sweets are forbidden. After few days start to eat fresh fruit and vegetables,milk products, musli and all this time drink plenty of water,teas and natural beverages.
I am sure you will feel better soon.