Had tonsils and annoids out. Started feeling sore throat. Is it safe to chew tobacco?

I had my tonsils and annoids cut out this morning and I am feeling ok this evening, just a sore throat and I am able to eat mashed potatoes and all the other good soft foods. Would it be ok to have a small chew/dipping tobacco? Obviously I would have to be careful not to swallow or let it get in my throat.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

It is advisable to avoid any form of tobacco at least 48 hours after surgery. There are two reasons for it:
1) Tobacco can cause mucosal irritation and delay healing of the surgical wound
2) Tobacco is also know to alter the blood clotting mechanism and thereby may lead to bleeding or delayed healing of the surgical site

So, please avoid chewing / dipping tobacco for at least 2 days after surgery.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist