Had thrombosis of brain and discovered factor v mutation. Taking the nattokinaise supplement would ward off clotting issues?

i am a 55 year old female. My brother had some difficulties with a thrombosis of the brain and they discovered he had factor v mutation. I was tested and told I carried the mutation also. since i currently do bio identical hrt implants which have truly made me feel wonderful; i was wondering if taking the nattokinaise supplement would ward off any possible future clotting issues that I may encounter as i age.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
NATTOKINASE is an enzyme found in a Japanese food called as NATTO and has been a folk treatment in Japan for past 100's of years in heart diseases,strokes,chest pains,deep vein thrombosis,peripheral artery disease etc.It has a blood thinning effect.
There is definitely some evidence that it helps in various conditions as listed above but more evidence is required to prove that it is really effective in such conditions.Proper clinical evidences are lacking in this regard and it's interactions with other medications is again not properly documented.
Traditionally it is being used as twice daily dose regime but whether larger doses are safe or not is not known.
It should be used with caution by  people taking blood thinners like aspirin,clopidogrel ,heparin,warfarin,anti inflammatories like diclofenac,ibuprofen etc because of risk of heavy bruising and bleeding.
Although I don't find any contraindication in you in using this product,but you must get a clear nod from your treating doctor for it's use and if you are using any blood thinner then you should avoid using this product.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck