Had swollen ankle, now red, large sore lump, painful to touch and walk. Have high BP and fibromyalgia

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My ankle was swollen a few days ago and now is fine. I now have a lump a large lump on my XXXXXXX It is really sore when I touch it or walk. I also have some redness and its warm to the touch. I am a 43 year old female. I have high blood pressure and am overweight. I also have fibromyalgia. Don't know if this is something I need to go to the ER for. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's an Inflammatory swelling.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

All your symptoms
* sore lump on XXXXXXX
* tender to touch
* Presence of redness & warmth

typically suggests that the swelling is of inflammatory origin.

The initial treatment is as follows -
* Give rest to the involved leg and avoid activities that produces pain
* Ice packing over the swelling for a duration of 15 minutes once in 2 hours to reduce the pain & inflammation
* Use analgesics like Advil or Aleve as needed

You need to undergo a few blood investigations like complete blood picture, C-reactive protein,Blood culture if necessary, Xray of the local part to know whether there is involvement of underlying bone etc.

I suggest you attend the ER for an evaluation and further definitive management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Had swollen ankle, now red, large sore lump, painful to touch and walk. Have high BP and fibromyalgia 5 minutes later
Do you think it has anything to do with a blood clot? The lump and pain is not in the calf so I didn't know if the symptoms fit.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's unlikely to be a blood clot.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to see you back.

Your symptoms are unlikely to be related to a blood clot (Venous thrombosis).

The typical symptoms of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) include
* Diffuse swelling of the entire leg including ankle and foot (whereas in your case its localized swelling)
* Pain is also diffuse in nature, present in the entire leg.The pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a charley horse.
* There will be associated changes in your skin color such as turning pale, red or blue.

So, once again I assure you that it is unlikely to be a blood clot. If you are still concerned, a doppler ultrasound examination of the involved leg will rule out DVT (blood clot).

Hope I have justified your query. Good day